In accordance with Louisiana Community and Technical College System (LCTCS) Policy # 2.015 Campus Sexual Misconduct, Delgado Community College is committed to creating and maintaining an environment in which sexual violence against men and women is not tolerated. Intervening in such instances helps to foster a safe environment for all, while sending a message that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated and is unacceptable in our community. Let’s be a part of a college community where respect, consent and responsibility are valued, we are all responsible for ensuring that no one has to endure sexual violence of any sort.
Delgado has trained Confidential Advisors who serve to aid persons involved in a sexual misconduct complaint in the resolution process as a confidential resource. See current list of Delgado Title IX Confidential Advisors.
Things you should know about Title IX:
- Title IX is a landmark federal civil rights law that prohibits sex discrimination
- Title IX does not apply to female students only.
- Delgado must take immediate action to ensure a complainant-victim can continue their
education free of ongoing sex discrimination, sexual harassment, or sexual violence.
- Delgado must have an established procedure for handling complaints of sex discrimination,
sexual harassment, and sexual violence.
- Delgado can issue a no contact directive under Title IX to prevent the accused student
from approaching or interacting with you.
- Delgado may not retaliate against someone filing a complaint and must keep a complainant-victim
safe from other retaliatory harassment or behavior.
- Delgado must be proactive in ensuring that your campus is free of sex discrimination.
- In cases of sexual violence, schools are prohibited from encouraging or allowing mediation
of the complaint.
- Delgado should not make survivors pay the cost of certain accommodations that they require in order to continue their educations after experiencing violence.
Discrimination is treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing is perceived to belong to rather than on individual merit. See the College's Title IX Non-Discrimination Statement.
Contact information for Delgado’s Title IX Coordinator
Traci B. Smothers
City Park Campus
Delgado Community College
615 City Park Avenue
New Orleans, Louisiana 70119
O’Keefe Administration Building